Reporting Street Conditions

bike lane pothole1

Reporting unsafe street conditions is a good-neighbor deed that can help speed the pace of repairs and save other people from danger.

In Philadelphia

Reporting Damaged Roads or Bicycle Facilities

Use the Philly311 system. You can report a wide range of issues by calling 311, using their mobile app for IOS or Android, or tweeting to @philly311. The City recommends using their app for the most reliable service and accountability. The Philadelphia Streets Department is also responsive on Twitter (@PhilaStreets) but that account is a good resource for asking questions, not to officially report issues.

Reporting Cars Parked in Bike Lanes

To combat the bane of cars parked in bike lanes, we convinced the Parking Authority to monitor a Twitter hashtag, #unblockbikelanes. Tweet the location of a car parked in a bike lane, preferably with a photo of the car, and use that hashtag and tag @PhilaParking. But before you do, make sure you know the laws about what is allowable stopping or standing in bike lanes.

Reporting Damaged or Unsafe Trails

In Philadelphia, trails are under the jurisdiction of Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Department. They are on Twitter (@PhilaParkandRec) and responsive to questions. We recommend reporting damaged or unsafe trails by using the Philly311 app and then also informing the Parks Department via Twitter or phone.

Reporting a Crash or Hit-and-Run

Call the police and know what to do in the event of a crash. Report dangerous-driving taxis or limos to the Parking Authority by Twitter, e-mail, or phone. Make sure you have the medallion or cab number.

PA Suburban Counties

Reporting Unsafe Roads

Roads and bridges are, with few exceptions, either local or state roads. To report damaged or unsafe state roads, call PennDOT’s report line at 1-800-FIX-ROAD. If it is a local road, contact the municipality through which the road winds.

Montgomery County

To report a damaged or unsafe road condition in Montgomery County, contact Gretta Riley at the Roads and Bridges Division via e-mail or phone at 610-278-3613.

To report a damaged or unsafe trail in Montgomery County, contact Linda Johnson at the Parts and Heritages Division via e-mail or phone at 610-278-3555.

Reporting Damaged or Unsafe Trails

Each county has a different agency responsible for trail safety and maintenance. Visit each county government’s website for information on their respective methods for reporting.

New Jersey

Reporting Unsafe or Damaged Roads and Trails

To report unsafe road conditions, visit this State of New Jersey webpage.

To report unsafe or damaged trails, look to this page for the appropriate contact information by county.

Volunteer for the BCGP!

Take the next step in getting involved in your bicycling community. Learn more here.